..

..

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

I Love My Mammys

Hello Dearies today is not as hot it is going to be a productive day for me.  Here is another Sneak Peak of what I am working on today.  This another one of my Mammy Kitchen helpers.  Maybe I shouldn't call them all kitchen helpers for some of these Gals did more than cook.  Most worked out in the field or did laundry.


I enjoy making them often times I get so full of stories that each one of them wants me to speak out for them and share with you.  I really can't give you one or even two reasons for my love of making these Mammy dolls each one come to me as a gift that I must produce and share.  I can remember when I first started making dolls of this type I caused a bit of controversy.  Not to mention the negative feedback that was given to me.  One I will always remember is of a young woman who thought I was White and how dare me call myself Mammy Stitches.  She went as far as to form a group of others to have my Etsy Shop shut down.  I got the last laugh. She didn't realize I belonged to the same Art group I Introduced myself to her that I am Mammy Stitches.

The Mammy name can cause so much of  a stir for some.  Others it brings back memories, I know the past of Mammy has not always been all good, but I believe in my heart are some precious moments that need to be shared.  I want to share those stories of the unspoken Mammy.  Some stories who knows may even be true and some just the stories that jumps out from my imagination.  Either way I hope you enjoy the Journey as I take you back to a simply time.  This also will explain to some why my Mammy's do not have faces as you learn the life of each one I create you will be able to envision that person faces will appear I know they do for me. 

I am not a writer nor am I great with putting together proper sentences and paragraphs etc. etc.  I am just a woman who Loves Mammy and want to share my gift to the world.  Thank you all who have continued to follow me and Hello and thank you to all my new followers.  Have a Wonderful Day

Peace and Blessings
Cheryl....Snatch JOY~!

5 comments:

  1. Dear Cheryl, It is sad that anyone would judge you like that. Even if you were white, I would not consider creating beautiful vintage style black girls as any disrespect! You do a fantastic job with these dolls, and the story telling too! I am always excited to see a Mammy Stitches doll! I created a vintage style country girl, and have her listed right now on ebay..yes she is black, and I love her! I named her Augusta, because a lady I know here locally is named Augusta, she was born, and raised in South Carolina, but her family is originally from Augusta Ga.I would love for you to see her, and hear what you think of her. I have an ebay button on my blog if you get time. Have a great week xoxoox Christel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cheryl~ Mammy's can cause a stir of emotion.I think people look into things to deeply because they don't have much of a life themselves so have to form the picket line against others.Mammy's histories and heritage need to be remembered so much is being lost in todays times.I think it's wonderful you expressing your heritage through your beautiful creations.I as you know am white and a relation of mine ask one day would I be embarassed to have black people in my house as I collect black dolls and americana.My response was certainly not I have saved pieces of their history which should be cherished.To me Mammy's stir thoughts of comfort,home and love.Keep making those beautiful dolls.Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Christal and Amy you two are some of my biggest motivators. Christal your doll is just gorgeous! Amy thank you for your love of Americana and saving pieces of the past. I never like getting into a color issue I taught my children love is not only blind it has no color at all.
    Peace and Blessings
    Cheryl...Snatch JOY~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cheryl, I had to come back and say thank you for your comment about Augusta. It is always a bit challenging to figure out how NOT to be offensive in any way when listing items..I am very proud of her, and now am elated to know that you love her as well! xoxox Christel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Augusta has been relisted but just for one day, ..and tell Mista..(teehee) her price has been lowered!xoxo Christel

    ReplyDelete